Thursday, September 1, 2011

Suzanna's Simply Super Supper...and a glass of wine

Coming up with a title for my latest blog was easy as I looked at the photo of my delicious meal.  I didn't intend for it be a tongue-twister, but my supper was truly super, and simple, and my name is...you're getting the picture.

This is how it happened.  My husband was working late and so my two boys and I would eat without him.  I love asparagus.  My kids don't.  I love red potatoes.  My kids don't.  And since it's all about me, I decided to make what I was craving, and cook up something separately fabulous for them.  This isn't usually how I function, and I am by no means a short order cook for my children, but on this particular evening I was determined to have asparagus and red potatoes and nothing or nobody was going to stop me...dammit.

What made my dish so fabulous is that it was so easy, and so healthy, and so dang tasty!  I didn't need meat, or bread, or anything else except a glass of red wine to compliment the meal.  Here's how easy it was: I boiled a few red potatoes (leaving most of the skin on), then sauteed them in vegetable broth, letting the potatoes soak up the broth before adding more.  This way, I didn't need butter or salt since the broth provided all the flavor -- Brilliant!

Asparagus is easy to prepare.  I lined fresh spears on a baking sheet, brushed them with olive oil, and broiled them for a few minutes.  I can eat asparagus plain, but this time I made a little dish of hollandaise to dip them in.

While my 8-year-old was setting the table, my 10-year-old poured me a glass of my favorite red wine (as you'll see in the photo it was a little much, but I wasn't complaining).  I returned the favor by putting together an equally fabulous "kids meal" which consisted of corn on the cob, grass-fed organic beef hot dogs, a cup of purple grapes and a cup of applesauce.  Am I an awesome mom or what? (at least that's what I am trying to convince my boys of)

Drum roll please...here is the masterpiece:








And since I am so brilliant, I also made enough potatoes so my husband and I could fry them up in the morning with our scrambled eggs...though we traded the wine for orange juice.  Just as well.

I ate every single bite on my plate, eating slowly, savoring the flavors as though it were my last meal on this earth.  And as it turned out, I also drank all the wine my son had poured.  Suzanna's Simply Super Supper would have been a tad difficult to say after that.

Here's to you and your cravings, may you give in to them all!

Suzanna Quintana, Holistic Health Coach & Certified Foodie

CHECK IT OUT:  My book page for "Why My Kids Don't Get Fat" just hit 400 fans on facebook!  Why not see what all the hullabaloo is about, and if you love it please "like" it!  www.facebook.com/whymykidsdontgetfat

No comments:

Post a Comment