Monday, April 18, 2011

A Date for Lunch? Don't tell my husband.

Everything was perfect...the room was quiet, Brazilian music drifted romantically through the corners, soft light from a baby blue sky sifted through the windows, and fell into a pool of color onto the floor.  My stomach grumbled as I sat down to the table, anxious as I was for my date to begin. 

There was even a deer and her young outside, not too far away from where I sat (not a surprise considering where I live), making my lunch date all the more perfect.

With all the great restaurants, delicious food, and good company available in this world, there is still something to be said for the simple act of dining alone, and enjoying a dish made with one's own hands.  Sorry honey, but I preferred to date myself for lunch today.

To begin the celebratory meal, I followed my instincts, gave in to my cravings, and within ten minutes I'd whipped up a light lunch that filled my taste buds with happiness for hours afterwards.  It was so delicious, in fact, that besides praising myself aloud I also grabbed the camera to take a picture. 

Here is my masterpiece:


A photo certainly doesn't do my meal any justice, so allow me to make your own mouth water with the details:  I tore up some baby spinach leaves and sprinkled a touch of vinaigrette dressing over them, then added a few sliced organic tomatoes, but the real magic came in the avocado that I halved and filled with tuna.  Who knew only 4 ingredients could bring such joy?

The real pleasure, however, was when I sat down with the dish, a glass of sparkling water, and the deer, while Brazilian jazz played in the background.  I enjoyed myself so much that I nearly was late for work (which happens to take place ten feet away in my office).

In all the chaos and traffic of daily life, I have learned to never underestimate the peace and joy to be found in a date with myself for lunch...and the timing of the deer seemed almost magically planned, as if the Goddess above smiled down on me and knew I still would enjoy some company, knowing I'm attracted to the strong and silent type.

And so I end with a wish for you to enjoy that perfect lunch with yourself, even if it's without the wild animals.  Like me, you just might end up making even more reservations for that "Party of One".

Here's to your next fabulous meal,

Suzanna Quintana, Holistic Health Coach & Certified Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment